Joomla and Champoluc Adventures


After designing the site for Champoluc Adventures i realised that I had done something wrong. No easy way for updating it. All updates had to be done by me and by hand. So instead of implementing easy multiple user editing myself i decided to have a look on open source alternatives. Joomla looked mature so I decided to give it a try.

Installing Joomla:
Everything was pretty easy I just did one thing wrong. I installed the default Joomla content as recommended in the installer and sites all over the net. My recommendation is DO NOT DO IT! It is far to much content so it just confuses you. Well… I did install it and then broke it…

So I cleared everything out (dropped the tables and cleared the directory and reinstalled it). That set me back one night (very slow connection to my server). The next day I started from scratch. Added the content from the first site. Found a template that I liked and modified. Installed multi language support. Installed a sideshow extension. Redesigned the logo to fit with the site (gonna redo it.. but it works fine for the time being).

The only problem I ran into was using content versioning. All the extensions i tried did not work with my provider I am on an old server and need to migrate to a newer since the one I use only provides php4.

So within 8 hours I got a working CMS that people other than me can edit with multi language support and a clean look. Within those 8 hours I also tried 4 different versioning extensions. I am never going back to writing websites by hand 🙂

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>